ExoMagic : The future of magic  

Go Back   ExoMagic : The future of magic > General > Introduce Yourself

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Student
Points: 4,786, Level: 44 Points: 4,786, Level: 44 Points: 4,786, Level: 44
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Magic Type: Stage Platform Closeup Gospel
MagiKen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A somewhat complete intor to MagiKen

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
//merged//
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

OK, I either can't find the Quick Reply icons or have done so twice. Either way I can't see the magical bio I posted. Can anyone else see it?

Ah ha! One must hit SAVE to post here rather than, or after hitting the Post Reply icon. SO, here is what I originally intended to post:

Bitten by the magic bug just before the age of 7. Commercial magic from age 14. Spurts of full time pro and semi pro in my 40's. Magical Christian Ministry for children and adults as a volunteer and a career as paid minister and speaker at Christian schools, camps, and churches (from my late 20's to the present (early 60's)).

Owned and operated mail-order and convention booth based magic shop, "Mercury Magic," doing business in the USA and internationally in the late 1960's and early 1970's. Occasionally still put out a few exclusive products under that name.

Am or have been a member or officer in the following: the Junior Magicians Circle at Magic Inc., IBM, SAM, Magic Masters of Chicago, FCM, and American Society of Ventriloquists.

Was one of the MagicBroadcast "web jockeys" during the station's short life; hosting the Magic in the Air, and Magic with a Message, programs.

Studied under Leong Kwok Home, Vic Toresburg, Jay Marshall, Charlie Miller, George Wondra, Chris Jakeway, and many others. Graduate of Chavez School of Magic.

Undergraduate degrees in Economics and Psychology
Masters Degree in Ministry
Uncompleted or degrees in progress Masters of Education, Doctorate of Ministry

Somebody on the Secrets of Magic Forum (SOMF) asked me a question and I thought that putting my answer here will add to your understanding of who I am. Here is what was posted to them:

What kind of magic can I do? After 50+ years in the field, I can pretty much do it all, but I tend to shy away from the larger full stage illusions for the most part. It is not so much that I do not enjoy doing them, it is more a matter of disliking the transport, set-up, packing up, and the costs: initial, maintenance, transport, and storage, these I find generally unsatisfying.

I started out as a birthday party and banquet entertainer and moved on to school assembly shows when I was younger. What I specialize in now is message magic; teaching lessons with magic as the memory hook. This is not just a throw away add-on, but doing things that when they remember the trick, or tell others about it, they will recall and recount the message along with it. I am a Christian Minister and much of what I do, these days is often called, Gospel Magic. But I also do anti-drug programs to teach all ages about the dangers of the use and abuse of addictive chemicals and associated thinking. Magic is also a small part of my five and ten day programs I use to do for hospitals, corporations, and the military specifically on breaking the tobacco habit. I also have some kid shows I do on the positive aspects of healthful living. I do these mostly at an annual county fair health tent, and sometimes at other venues.

I also do as much close-up magic as I can find time for on a non-paid basis. I do that because I love the one on one interaction and reactions.

Not often, but I also do street magic at parades and shopping centers, not as myself, but as a magic clown.

What have I not done that I would like to do some day? The answer is: restaurant magic table hopping as myself. I actually have done this, but limitedly; once with two other magicians at the opening of a new hospital wing; another time on lunch breaks while working at a Wal-Mart for a week. I entered the restaurant in clown costume and before long the owner wanted to hire me as a regular feature once a week. Too bad it was too far from home to travel there for just a once a week job. He did give me free meals for the week and I spent a half hour of my hour breaks doing magic and balloons for his customers after I finished eating.

==============

Age = 61
Experience with magic and level of expertise = Good to Expert (see above)
Favorite tricks = the ones I invent, create, and build or at least modify
Other hobbies = Vent, puppets, chalk art, balloon sculpture, reading, TV
Favorite animal = All kinds -- my kids have dogs I like and who are attached to me.
Kids = 5 + 2 grandchildren
Favorite pie flavor = Strawberry rhubarb
Favorite soda = lemon-lime soda or British bitter lemon if I can get it, but a good fresh squeezed American style lemonade is better than either for everyday

Unlike Alex Hess, I do have 100's in my arsenal and once, back in grad school, I did a 6 hour marathon in the student center without repeating a single effect just for the fun and practice since I was magically stagnating in my academic studies at the time. Since then my repertoire has more multiplied into 1,000's of possibilities, but no more free marathons -- I will gladly do one, just pay me first

It has been a couple of years and I do not often get here. I am 64 now. I'm considering starting a school for Gospel Magicians. If I do, I will let the members of this forum know. - date May5, 2015

Last edited by MagiKen; 05-05-2015 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Merged due to double post
MagiKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hexcruncher
COO

Points: 9,104, Level: 64 Points: 9,104, Level: 64 Points: 9,104, Level: 64
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Current Trick: Tarantula
Magic Type: Card, money, levitation, ExoMagic
Eoin Lavery is a jewel in the roughEoin Lavery is a jewel in the roughEoin Lavery is a jewel in the rough

Wow, that is possibly the longest introduction I have ever seen on these forums!

Welcome to ExoMagic MagiKen! Obviously you have an incredible amount of experience in magic, 50+ years. It is amazing to meet somebody who has kept on their love of magic for 50 years, and it really is a love if it goes on that long! Things are a bit slow around here at the moment, but we are hoping they may pick up again rather soon, especially with the great competition hosted by the great Alex Hess over at the lounge, check it out here

Happy Holidays - Free Holiday Giveaways!

I'm sure with your experience you should have quite an interesting tale somewhere!

Looking forward to seeing you on the forums

-Eoin
Old 12-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
V.I.P.

Points: 16,269, Level: 81 Points: 16,269, Level: 81 Points: 16,269, Level: 81
Activity: 33.3%
Activity: 33.3% Activity: 33.3% Activity: 33.3%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Current Trick: Ultracinese
Magic Type: Close-up/ Parlor
haroldross is a glorious beacon of lightharoldross is a glorious beacon of lightharoldross is a glorious beacon of lightharoldross is a glorious beacon of lightharoldross is a glorious beacon of lightharoldross is a glorious beacon of light

Awards Showcase

Welcome MagiKen!

Quite a resume you've got there. I have a D.Min. and a Ph.D. and am involved with Gospel magic whenever possible. Most of my magic is done through a local non-profit group here on the Indian Reservation. I work in the substance abuse, domestic violence, and suicide prevention areas in addition to pastoring a local church. You'll read more about me throughout this community.

How did you find us here?

Hope to chat some with you later.

Harold
Old 12-26-2011, 12:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Exo
CEO & Founder

Current Trick: Retired
Magic Type: Street/Closeup
Alex has a spectacular aura aboutAlex has a spectacular aura aboutAlex has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the Magic!

Hope to see you around MagiKen. That is quite an impressive introduction.

Alex
Founder ExoMagic
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote